Thursday, December 22, 2011

a first

There is a first for everything, isn't that the way the saying goes?  Well, I do not believe that I have ever posted a recipe on any blog of mine, so here we are embarking onto new territory. . .

(. . .just a side note. . .I'm always amazed at those people who are able to take pictures of every step of the way throughout their recipes.  I love reading those blogs but this post will not follow the same pattern for two reasons.  One:  Apparently I take after my great-Grandmother in not keeping the kitchen very tidy when I'm in it  and don't really want photographic evidence of that fact floating around cyberspace.   Two:  I have a feeling if I remembered to take pictures, I'd forget to add the flour or something else important like that.  So here is a recipe. . .minus the pictures. . .)

. . . .
a simple pancake recipe:

2 1/2 cups freshly ground flour
4 tablespoons sugar (or half the amount of honey)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sour milk (add a squirt of lemon juice to the milk and let it sit for a couple of minutes)
2 beaten eggs
2 tablespoons cooking oil.

Mix the dry and wet ingredients separately, then combine.  Do not over stir but be sure all the clumps of flour are gone :)  Using a 1/4 cup pour batter unto a hot, greased griddle.  Cook until golden brown (flipping to cook other side when pancakes have a bubbly surface and slightly dry edges)  Serve with real maple syrup and butter (eggs and sausage are always a welcome side) 
. . . .

The nice thing about the freshly ground flour is that they have such a hardy taste, and are so much more filling than usual pancakes.  Unless you are one of my brothers. . .who each consumed six (or seven!) of these yesterday. 

Oh, and then if you happen to have leftovers, save them in the fridge for pancake sandwiches.  I was shocked when I found out that so many people did not know about such things :)

1 comment:

  1. You can also freeze them and then you have a ready made emergency breakfast, as they are fantastic toasted!

    ReplyDelete