Monday, February 6, 2012

the importance of proper sentence construction

While reading the BBC news a week ago, I happened upon an interesting article explaining royal banquets through the centuries.  I was, however, confused by this last bullet point.

  • Takes two days to lay the 175ft-long dining table at Buckingham Palace
  • Each place setting measures 45cm and a rod is used to achieve the exact alignment of chair and table
  • 1,104 glasses are used, six for each guest
  • George IV's 4,000-piece Grand Service is used
  • Takes eight people three weeks to clean the service
  • 170 linen napkins, with the Queen's monogram, are folded by one man in the shape of a Dutch bonnet


Does this mean that the man who folds the napkins is himself in the shape of a Dutch Bonnet. . ?  I do believe I shall save this as a humorous example of the importance of proper sentence construction in case I am ever called upon to teach grammar in the future.  It is always handy to have an example to whip out to prove your point.  Like with piano students who look like they don't believe you when you point out the fact that rhythm is indeed important and not merely a suggested guideline.  That is the perfect opportunity to point out that proper rhythm is the only difference between the opening line of "Joy to the World" and a descending C major scale.  


Meanwhile, I am happy that I am not invited to such a banquet as described above, for I am sure that I would be absolutely lost with what to do with my six glasses at my place setting.  And could you imagine setting a table for two days? 

1 comment:

  1. Now doesn't it make setting the Griffiths' table for 7 seem like a piece of cake! :)

    ReplyDelete