Monday, May 30, 2011

dai·li·ness

a random collection of thoughts and memories

------------------------

Last Thursday I had the opportunity to watch three children while their parents and older siblings went out for the evening.  They were from the south, and the southern drawls on the children were so fun.

We headed outside to play in the yard before supper.  The two youngest (ages 6 and 3) quickly picked 'who they would be' as we started playing house..  The little girl wanted to be the dog, the three-year old the son.  There was an awkard silence as the eight year-old boy looked at me with an almost embarrassed look on his face.  Amused, I thought that it might be because he didn't want us to be the 'mom and dad'.  So I decided to ease his thoughts and offered that he could be the Dad and I could be the daughter.

He thought for a moment, furrowing his brow in concentration.  Then he answered in all seriousness with his southern accent  "Yeah, that's a good idea. . .seeing that I don't want to have to marry you."  Oh, how hard it was to keep from laughing!

----------------------------

Today was a day full of laundry - mounds and mounds of it.  Four of us girls were working on it pretty much all day, along with wiping down bathrooms and emptying garbages.  It is amazing how enjoyable such work can be when with friends.  And I am so blessed to be able to serve even in the little ways, to in a small way be part of the ministry here.

---------------------------

The evenings have been typically quiet these past few weeks and I have instigated a new tradition; listening to a sermon by Paul Washer before bed.  The few peaceful hours from about eight o'clock and on have become some of my favourites as I watch the sun set from my window and putz around my room.  What a gift this time has been, surrounded by the truth of God's Word and the beauty of His creation.  I'd encourage you to go on to sermon audio and download a couple of Paul Washer's sermons or you can start here

--------------------------

the sun has just set, and the world outside my window is again cloaked in shadows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment